Thursday, October 27, 2011

Getting Ready for Savour Kilkenny: Making Carrot and Walnut Muffins


Dear Avid Nicholas Mosse Fan:
This bank holiday weekend, Kilkenny is going to be bustling with all people coming to Savour Kilkenny, so I thought in honour of that I'd put this Carrot and Walnut Muffin recipe up on our blog. I found the recipe in the November 2011 issue of UK County Living magazine in Tessa Webb's column Grow & Cook (recipe is on page 152). This past weekend I made 24 tiny muffins (as those were the only sized cases I had). Tested by my daughter, husband and neighbours -they are almost all gone. So that's good!

The recipe is really simple.

Carrot and Walnut Muffins
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes 12

Ingredients:
250g self-raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon mixed spice (note: I did not have this on hand so I used ground ginger and cinammon and found it needed more that 1 teaspoon- you can adjust to your liking)
160g dark brown muscavado sugar
50g walnuts, chopped
2 medium eggs, beaten
160ml sunflower oil
125g carrots, grated (only about 1 large carrot)
2 very ripe bananas, mashed.

1. Heat the oven to 200C (180 C fan oven) gas mark 6. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar, breaking down any lumps, followed by the nuts.
3. Make a well in the centre and pour in the eggs and the oil. Quickly stir to combine, then add the carrot and banana and mix together again.
4. Divide the mixture between muffin cases and bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.













They have a lovely autumn flavour to them. In the next batch I'm going to make bigger and might try by adding in some fresh ginger to give it a little extra punch.


Let me know if you end up making them yourself and don't forget we always love to see photos not only of your Nicholas Mosse collections but also of your cooking adventures.


You can email me directly at lisamcgee@nicholasmosse.com.




Lisa




























No comments:

Post a Comment